Friday, March 3, 2017

Week 4


Hi all!


Welcome back to my blog! This week has been a whirlwind of working on my lip product and learning different skill sets and ingredient information at the skincare company in Phoenix. I have learned so much in the past weeks.

GIPHY Originals excited yes score winning

Last week at the lab I got to create my first formulation of the lip butter, and I had so much work to do. When you would put the product on your lips, they would turn white from too much titanium dioxide, but more importantly, the product was too waxy and not able to be picked up easily. So this week, I worked on adapting the formula to make it more spreadable, and I integrated antioxidants!


Antioxidants are going to be a key marketing component for me to protect lips against the free radicals. To give you a quick run-down: free radicals are unstable particles that have the potential of causing a bunch of harm to your body by causing mutations and interrupting cell cycles. And we are in contact with free radicals everyday with pollution, UV radiation, stress, and drugs and chemicals. This is where antioxidants come in, keeping oxidation at optimum levels to minimize free radicals in our bodies. But our bodies do not create enough, and our skin needs to be protected. So my lip product contains many types of antioxidants to defend the thin lip barrier.

Image result for antioxidants and free radicals

Also, I began a free marketing course thanks to Spencer V! I’m taking a class on inbound marketing through Hub Spot. Inbound is a new type of marketing focused on the consumer through avenues like SEO, blogging, and marketing that people love rather than cold calling. I am hoping to learn lots through these classes, and I cannot wait to integrate it into my own marketing of my products!


I got to create two different batches of my lip balm this week, and I am finally happy with the feel of my last batch because it actually moisturizes and lasts, and it feels smooth going on! I will get some feedback on it this weekend to see how people like it and if I should make any modifications. :D


Thank you for following my blog and I'll see you all next week!

7 comments:

  1. So far I love the lip balm! It is easy to apply, goes on smooth, and is transparent on my lips. I also love the soft, pleasant smell! Thank you for letting me be one of your test subjects!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yay!! That's so exciting Dr. Scaling! Thank you for letting me know!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lauren! It's so cool that you've developed more lip butters and found solutions to the issues you mentioned in your last post! I was wondering how you chose inbound marketing as opposed to other marketing techniques? Is it more effective? Also, what is "cold calling"? Thank you! I can't wait to see your project continue to progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren. I noticed that you've been taking the HubSpot course I recommended! It's pretty awesome right? How do see lip balm or other dermatology products advertised with Inbound? Can't wait to see your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Spencer! Yeah! It's super cool! Ooh gosh, definitely educating people on antioxidants and their role in protecting the skin because everyone knows antioxidants are good, but we really need them especially as our body begins to produce less and free radical production increases in our bodies which can lead to DNA mutations. So definitely some blog posts and creating educational materials!

      Delete
  4. Hey Lauren! It is so cool that you are getting to see how well your product is working and are able to change and adapt to make it better! I hope you end up with a lip balm that's bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I never knew there were so many considerations that needed to be taken when creating a lip product. It's also really cool that you ended up taking the course Spencer recommended! I think that's a great idea considering it's pertinent to your project as well.

    ReplyDelete