Friday, April 14, 2017

Last Week!

Hey guys!

This week marks my last week on site, and I could not have asked for a better experience. My on-site mentors have been so helpful, teaching me new things everyday as well as making me feel part of the team.

I finished up my large project at the dermatology products company (it's confidential so I haven't been able to share), but that was super cool because they will be giving my finished product to all their sales reps to use. Also, they took me out to lunch on Thursday, and gave me a ton of helpful advice which is so nice! And I got to meet the new marketing coordinator who is transitioning into the company.

At Kerwin's lab, we created final batches of my lip treatment and clay mask! Wow, he has been so much fun to work with, and I have learned so much from him. I also got to meet a woman who makes her own fragrances and started her own company here in Phoenix which is so cool! And this fragrance smells so good!!! I have made so many connections in the field by working with Kerwin, and I went from literally knowing nothing but cosmetics must take work and formulations to make, to knowing the full general process of what it takes to bring a product to market!

Last day at the lab! That's a 1 kilo batch!

I am now working on my presentation which I cannot wait to show you all and I'm refining all that I learned to pair it down to what it takes to create a brand and what interesting facts I've found along the way. For all of you reading this, something I've learned through the process is to take advantage of your opportunities. Definitely don't take advantage of people, but really dive into whatever you are a part of to learn from others, enjoy the experience, and build relationships with people. Being in an internship was super amazing, and definitely showed me how the real world work force is totally different than my day to day interactions. Everyone is professional and has a goal to work towards which I at first found very intimidating but now so appreciate.

Just keep working towards your goals!

For those of you wanting to pursue an internship or some type of experience, I would encourage you to find something you love or that you might love and dive into it. It doesn't have to be super academic or professional, just run with your passions! You might learn it's not for  you, but you also might learn how much you love it and start making connections in the field as well as learning so so much about it!!!

I love chemistry and wanted to pursue something in the real world!

Huge thank you to everyone who has made this experience so wonderful and filled with such great opportunities! Kerwin, Erin, Dr. Scaling, Ms. Mitrovich, and all the Dermaforce staff, you guys are so fantastic and I am so grateful that I get to know you guys and learn from you! Thank you for pouring into me and really trusting me to shoot for the stars!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren. I can honestly tell you that I actually have looked forward to reading your blog posts every week, and have felt interested and engaged in every step along the way. I'm so glad you learned so much during this project and wish you good luck in college. Thanks for a great experience! Also- do you know the name of the company of the woman who makes fragrances in Phoenix? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren! The progress you've made on your project arre so impressive and inspiring- especially because I would want to try out making my own product! Do you know how long generally it takes before products take to get sold? Like once you put a product up for sale, how long before many people start buying it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren! Your posts have been truly interesting each week, and I'm so impressed with the incredible progress you've made. I can tell you've learned a ton from these internships, and you'll have a great future in this field. It's great that you're working with a local woman for your fragrance, do you have her company name so I can find her fragrances? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lauren! Seeing your product develop has been so fun! I've learned so much from your posts. You gave us a lot of advice for internships, but what was your biggest takeaway from this experience? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Lauren! I've enjoyed reading your weekly blog posts and seeing the progress you've made so much! Your constant excitement, positivity, and determination is inspiring. Out of curiosity, if you could pick a different topic for your senior research project, what would you choose? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo! Nice work trucking through Lauren! Weekly blog posts have been a blast to read through; your passion for the field makes the blogs that much more interesting! As cheesy as it sounds, you've really inspired me and my love for chemistry for these past 10 weeks! Keep up the hard work and good luck to whatever you decide to pursue in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lauren! Wow, I can't believe your project has already come to its end! I really enjoyed following your blog; it has been such an amazing experience, reading about the process in which you made your products. Every week, I would look forward to your blog post, because your posts were so interesting and enjoyable to read.Thank you for sharing your experience with us; I wish you the best of luck on your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Lauren! I can't believe its already coming to an end! You've gotten so far and it's been amazing to follow you on your journey! Your blog posts have always demonstrated that you truly enjoyed what you were doing and that made it very exciting to read. I was just wondering who the woman is that sells fragrances in Phoenix. I wish you the best of luck in college and the future!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Lauren! I think it is awesome that your project began as mainly chemistry based but evolved into you understanding how to put a product on the market!

    ReplyDelete