Friday, March 17, 2017

Finalized Lip Treatment!

Hi all! Welcome back to my blog!

I hope you all had a fantastic spring break! This week has been a bunch of fun, and so much has gone on with my project! As I shared with you guys last week, I'm loving the lip product that I made! The only thing I wanted to change this week was the pickup so consumers could easily use the product and use the penetrating antioxidants to protect their lips! I even took a trip to Sephora to test how the pickup was on a bunch of other lip butters to compare to my own product.


On Tuesday, I came into Kerwin's lab with a new formula and a plan, he went over it and showed me another wonderful natural ingredient that would uplift my formula, and we slipped it in and got going. After measuring and mixing my ingredients, I got to pour the 50mL batch and make another set of lip butters! We tested it again, and I love it! It's such a great mix and I would love to give you all samples if I could over the internet! Currently I'm having people try it, and they have super positive feedback which is amazing!


Now I am working a lot more on the graphics and specific marketing behind my product. My goal is to come up with my design for packaging this weekend so it is done when I see Kerwin on Tuesday again, and I can also share it with the people I am working with at the dermatology company in Phoenix! I also am working on creating a brand name that would encompass my products. Both my cleanser and lip product are natural and I would love all my products to be natural in the future. I'm thinking of a two or three word brand name, and I'll keep you posted on what I come up with!

Next week I will be working on my formulation for my cleanser with Kerwin, and I'm super excited for that, but I will have to do a bunch more research this weekend for that including ingredients and marketing claims that can go behind those ingredients too.

I have a bunch I'm working on, and so much to do before my internships are over! I am super thankful for this opportunity, and I hope you guys are learning with me! If you have any questions, as always, feel free to leave a comment below!

18 comments:

  1. Hey Lauren! It's so great you now have a lip butter product you're happy with! For the graphic design you said you're working on to market your lip product, do you know if there are specific patterns or colors that sell a product better? As in, do certain stylings of a package help sell a product more than other designs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Annalise! Thank you! Really, whenever the designs match the branding. I was looking into it, and there aren't any patterns that don't fade away after time, but I personally like minimalist so I think that is what I will go with!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lauren. Congrats on finalizing your lip product! Even from the picture I can tell your product is amazing and natural, and I am especially excited that you chose to make the lip butter colorless, as it looks more natural to me. As far as the name, do shorter names for products usually sell better because they are attention grabbers and easily readable, or are longer length names good as well? Also, are you going to come up with a unique and crafty name for your product, or just a simple name that directly describes your product? Thanks! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Olivia! Thank you! It is super exciting, and I'm glad I went with that too! In the cosmetics departments, short brand names seem to be a hit especially because when you add on the product name to a long brand name, that can be a lot. I am thinking of a two word name, and I will release it soon! And for the products, after doing some research, the product names usually are specific and accurate with the brand name more fun, so that is what I will follow.

      Delete
  3. Hi Lauren! It's so exciting that you've decided on a final product and you can start branding it! Concerning the brand name, are you going to mark both the cleanser and lip balm with the same one? Also, are you planning to market them as a set or individually? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esha! Thank you! I want to create one brand centered on being natural and effective with scientific backing. This brand will encompass both my products, and I will market them individually since they are so different!

      Delete
  4. Hi Lauren! It's so cool that you have a finalized lip product! What would the ideal uplift be like? Are you going for a dense butter or a more fluid one? Also, will your brand name incorporate the naturality of your product, since it's such a big aspect of it? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nitya! Thank you! For sure more dense because you don't want the product falling off your lips, but rather having some stick to it. Haha, a little bit, I'm still working out the kinks, but maybe the name will be up here on Friday :D

      Delete
  5. Hi Lauren! This week seems to have been very exciting for you and it is so cool that you have finalized your lip product. I have a few questions. Are you planning on marketing your products? If you are, are you going to market them as a set or individually? Another follow up question to that is do products sell better when they are marketed as a set or individually? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina! Thank you! I am going to market my products, and I have to get that going soon. I will market them individually, and with my products, they are so differently that I don't think they would sell as well as a package.

      Delete
  6. Hi Lauren! I am so excited to hear that you are almost finished with your product and have a successful formula! Packaging seems to be an important part of marketing your lip balm to consumers, was there any symbol/design you wanted to emphasize on the cover? I cannot wait to hear more about your cleanser, will it be specifically targeted for acne? I look forward to reading more! Thank you.
    Zafeerah Sheikh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zafeerah! Thank you! Packaging is huge! Ooh, I don't know about a certain symbol or design, but maybe! Great idea, thank you! The cleanser will be targeted for deep cleansing and helping with sebum/ oil regulation which is perfect for people with acne! Thank you for commenting and following me!

      Delete
  7. That's so amazing that you have a finished lip product! Even the picture it looks super natural and effective. Have you noticed that any certain colors or name trends tend to improve the sales of a lip treatment? Also, do you plan to market your cleanser and lip butter with a similar marketing plan, as if you have your own semi-brand? If so, how do you plan to link the two products, and if not how do you plan to market each one based on their functions/formulas? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bobby! Thank you! There are so so many different types of lip treatments that it is so hard to tell especially because you have so many different markets: teenagers wanting fun colors, young adults wanting fun and effective, and adults wanting clean and effective. Yes! I am creating my own brand name and both will be under it! I plan on doing a bunch of inbound marketing like blog posts, social media, and web design, but I won't actually be selling them because they would have to go through some testing first

      Delete
  8. Hi Lauren! Congrats on your product; it looks awesome! Since you are starting on your cleanser soon, have you decided the type of consistency you want it to have? Also, which type of cleanser do you prefer? A foaming cleanser or a cream cleanser? Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Divya! Thank you! Yes! I am going to make a clay, cream cleanser and hopefully I will be getting started tomorrow with that! Thank you for following me!

      Delete
  9. Hey Lauren! Sounds like your product is coming along swimmingly! It is super awesome that you are actually having people try it out so that you can receive feedback and make it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lauren! It's awesome to see the product coming along quite well! I can see now that your future goal is to do effective marketing. I hope that you will pick a nice brand to use.

    ReplyDelete